Strength In Peers is hiring a Part-Time Outreach Worker. The position will support Harrisonburg and Rockingham, Shenandoah, and Page Counties. Some evening and weekend work will be required. Some flexibility is allowed in scheduling work time. This position is grant funded through February 2019.
The Outreach Worker will provide outreach and education in the community about health and behavioral health issues. The position will help community members link to community services, including HIV testing.
General Job Duties:
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with community-based organizations.
- Conduct outreach to connect with community members where they work, live, and play (community events, street outreach, agency outreach, social marketing, etc.)
- Obtain and share knowledge of community resources for HIV testing, health care, behavioral health services, social services, and additional support services.
- Assist individuals to understand referrals to social, behavioral health, medical, and other resources.
- Provide education and information about health and behavioral health issues, and health and social service systems.
- Encourage behavior change and self-care.
- Record and maintain information on participants, appointments, and referrals made.
- Attend staff meetings, trainings, and other meetings as requested.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Experience working in a community-based setting for at least 1 to 2 years, preferred.
- Able to communicate effectively interpersonally in one-on-one and small group settings.
- Able to inspire confidence and motivate individuals.
- Knowledge of community services a plus.
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish and English, preferred.
- Be a recovering consumer of substance abuse and/or mental health services, preferred.
- Commitment to develop computer and data management skill and knowledge.
Established in 2015, Strength In Peers is an organization of individuals who have experience overcoming mental health and substance abuse problems. We provide peer support to others who are working towards their recovery.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.